you are an imposter after reinstalling ut2k4 or windows?

This is the place to go if you have questions about the server/forum rules or how to play effectively on the server.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Amy Infless
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

you are an imposter after reinstalling ut2k4 or windows?

Post by Amy Infless » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:35 pm

you have reinstalled your ut2k4, or you installed a backup/fresh copy from your old pc or someone else or w/e,
but now you can only play as YOURNAME_imposter??

normally you need three things to play as "official" player, its not only the old cd-key.

in case you need it (your old key):
ZombieSlayer wrote:If you lost your cd and have the old drive and have not reinstalled UT2004 or reformatted the drive, you can find your old cd key in the registry here ...

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technologies\Installed Apps\UT2004
the other two things:
many server, even when not using EPIC´s worldwide ut2k4-stats-system, want you to
enter a stats name and a stats password in your settings.

start ut2k4. main menu click "settings", there you click the tab "game".
on the right side you find "stats". track stats (yes/no). UserName and Password.
if you know these two things, enter them here.

in case you forgot or lost it, dont panic, theres one chance to get it back.

if you luckily have the old ut2k4-user.ini (normally in folder: hd:\ut2k4\system)
open it with text editor and search for

[Engine.PlayerController]
StatsUsername=YOUR_OLD_USERNAME
StatsPassword=YOUR_PASSWORD

if you dont have these two things, no regular chance to play NOT as imposter with your old name, except you
start with a new char and use "invisible" unicodeletters to make your new name look like the old one.

example:
old name: OLD_PLAYER_XYZ
new name: OLD_PLAYER_XYZ³³³

the "³³³" dont appear visible, at least one way to use the "old name"... ...but not with your old stats, you will
start as level 10 (or was it 30 now?)...

the non official non regular way to get your old stats and name back, no matter if old or new cd-key, is to ask
paintball/baron_von_rotterdam to fix it!

-> http://www.gamingmadness.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=143

just to complete these cd-key-problems, here are two special cases:

1.) you had to reinstall WINDOWS or replace the "broken" main hd with a new one with new windows on it.
your (32gig ;) ) ut2k4-folder is luckily in another partition of your hd, or on the second hd in your pc.

2.) some dont know, you can "copy" a complete ut2k4-backup from your old pc/laptop or someone else,
and "paste" it on your hd. (note: from diferent pc`s/laptops with different gfx-cards this could make problems
with screen-settings. worst case is you have to start ut2k4 in recovery/save mode or w/e its called in the english
version, to switch to another save low resolution screen mode to be able to change settings in ut2k4.
i just dont remember how to do that...)

1.) + 2.) have the same problem: the cd key, stored in the windows registries, is missing.

if you have "a" cd key or your old original one, there is an easy way to "fix" this
without a new ut2k4-installation !!

search the www for "ut2kx regcheck".

download it. start it. it should look like this:

1. change tab from ut2k3 to ut2k4
2. normaly the correct folder is shown. if not or if you have a 2. install, search for it
3. click "allow changes" (all "add"-things are enabled now)
4. chose your language
5. enter your cd-key in bottom line (normally doesnt matter if you use "THIS" or "this" letters)
6. click "insert" -> a small popup appears with message "all done. dont forget to reboot your machine" -> click "ok"
note1: click ok doesnt reboot your pc, its just a reminder.
note2: its not really needed to reboot NOW. the registry-entry is set and working without reboot!
7. exit ut2kxregcheck
8. start ut2k4
9. start playing...

hope that helps...

as
Do not try kill THIS bug !!! ->Image Your monitor may not like it...

Those who correct my English will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

Amy Infless
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Re: you are an imposter after reinstalling ut2k4 or windows?

Post by Amy Infless » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 am

ok, update for another rare special case:

"im an imposter but "i" never changed my cd key and "i" never changed my name and "i" never
changed anything in my user.ini" (like stats name and stats password)

well. YOU are right. YOU didnt change it, but there is a rare case ut2K4 is changing it!

if you play ut and for some reason windows dies in the background, or your ut is crashing
or your pc shut down because of power loss, your ut doesnt save the "user.ini", which
is "opend" by it while playing.

so the next time you start ut, it CAN be (not must) many things in that user.ini are missing.
these missing lines will be renewed or replaced with the existing lines in the "default.ini",
which is the original "copy" of the original user.ini after a fresh install! means, settings
can be gone, server lists, but also as well your name, stats name or stats password!

if that is the case... well... see post above.

also, to "fix" THAT problem, i suggest if you finished your settings, copy the user.ini and replace the default.ini
with that copy. so that way you will never ever lose any settings...

except you delete your ut-folder...

ats
Do not try kill THIS bug !!! ->Image Your monitor may not like it...

Those who correct my English will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

Return to “Monster Madness Player Guide”