carball knowledge part 2: wall methods and strategies

Do you know some good strategies to help your fellow team mates do better in game? Help us out. Post some in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

carball knowledge part 2: wall methods and strategies

Post by draegohn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:20 pm

now it is my turn to add to carball knwledge base for you guys interested. this will cover wall techniques for putting a score potential more in one's favor, or wall techniques in racing or funhouse maps.

think gemeotry and playing pool

one of my most often used methods for ball manipulation is to reflect a ball off a wall via ramming or using a pocketrocket push of ball into the wall. so often have i seen people hit the ball horribly into the wall, i wonder if they had lag or just bad turnig sensitivity.

the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection...remember this from high school geometry or physics concerning light? well, so often will i be in a situation where turning to get behind a ball directly is a bad choice with opponents right behind me. so the best thing to do is head for the nearest wall you are probably heading towards (think zigzag map) and attempt to collide the ball with your vehicle so that the force generated will push it in the direction you wish. normally this creates a very strong push into the direction sought

you also can be fancey and lead a ball to a wall, but rather thah collide to add smoosh-force, let it bounce off on its own momentum, turning your vehicle to the direction the ball should go, and meet it as it bounces off so you can have direct frontal contact once again. it won;t have the strong push as the other method does, but having control of it might be better overall.

using a pocket rocket to hit a ball further away from you to rebound off a wall is also a good tactic, especially if an opponent on the other team is closing in on it and will get to it before you.

how do they climb and drive along walls!?

ahh yes, the funhouse or racing maps where people can't get up the wall aand die constantly, whining they don't know how to do it. i saw this an hour ago while try racing2. i even tried to teach it, but you know how text chat can go ignored. so i will give this explanation here in detail anyone should be able to follow.

ok, so you are in front of a wall and want to latch on and drive up it. do this:

1) approach the wall with some amount of velocity a bit more than the bare minimum

2) leap upwards
2a) hold down the crouch key to build up jumping power, then release
2b) one can also approach wall with much more velocity and initiate the cbquickflip for better boost height. if this is the case, ignore #3. if you do this, do it relatively close to the wall since your car angle will be parallel to the wall in almost a split second.

3) press the key you have to tilt the car back, that is, front of car risen into the air and try to get the angle of the car parallel to the wall at 90 degrees

4)take finger off acceleration---this is most important to be able to stick! if you are still accelerating, you will always always ALWAYS bounce off the wall and never stick. this was my biggest mistake and frustrated me to no end.

5) when the car bottom seems parallel to the wall surface and hitting it, press and hold the crouch key again and you should notice the car sticking to the wall and not falling down readily

6) while holding the crouch key, hit accelleration (forwards) button again and you will start to climb the wall!

now, there are more things yet to know o,,o

if you let go and press crouch button again imemdiately, you will boost along the wall faster. be careful timing that, a bad one will have you fall down to death, but this way you can climb walls much faster.

sometimes is necessary to change your angle of ascension. to do this, you must let go of the crouch button, while pressing one of the directional key for turning the car left or right. how long you let go of crouch button and holding arrow key will determine amount of rotation. immediately press down crouch again to stick at the new angle.

in some places, it is necessary to go so high on a wall you climb, then let go for a reason. on funhouse map, one needs to drop from a wall to get to a passage beneath where one leapt from to stick to the wall. you need to get so high, stop sticking, then flip the car at the correct angle and initiate a nitro booster to get to that passage.

there are two tilts in carball. one that forces your front tires downwards (tilting down, crouch key or enter key as defaults) and one that forces them upwards (tilting up, i have this as space bar which is my jump key for regular ut2004 playing). controlling tilts is how every advanced cb player does fancey moves and complicated ball manipulation combos so well. it would be wise to learn the basics, and not even i can do them that well yet while playing a goal-scoring type match.

i know cadmium and crayoli were getting mad at the one part of racing2 because they kept dying where the speed boosters were on the very large gap with a ramp before it, wondering why they couldn't reach tha platform every time like i could. simply do this...at the end of the ramp, insitiate a booster. press tilt up a little. do another booster. wait a second or two, then do the third, and you'll make it! you boost in the direction and angle the front of your car is at, so the greater the tilti up, the higher you go, and further you move when descending. but do not do it too too high or you go more straight upwards than forwards. this method is also necessary to do the two jumps after getting the nitro boosters in funhouse. anything but impossible once you realize what to do :}

and this concludes wally stuff with a bit extra info to help you guys out.

i am no carball master like knavey or zombie, but i know enough now to be a force of reckoning, hahahaha! people know this too since everyone rams into me in my lightweight aluminum buggy. man, i hate how easy it is to spin me our or throw me onto the side -,,-

i never played carball until this server, and like many of you, i hated it so much because i felt like i knew nothing , and i just wanted invasion only. even after 10 or so cb maps i actually had no idea how to do the flip until someone else asked (my pride again, not wanting to show weakness by asking for help <,,<). after getting better, watching others, i finally got into the groove and i add a vote to cb almost every time it is brought up. always a gauranteed vote from me..except in openspace. i can never get the ball off the ground much but for a small volley :{

everything i learned about cb, was just by playing it here in the rare chances we have. now i love it :}

i probably wouldn't play on another cb dedicated server, a great deal of the pleasure is playing with you guys who i know now ^,,^

ok, rambling now. post complete!
Last edited by draegohn on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crayola
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by crayola » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:31 pm

lol i did reach the platform but after i got tired of playing i almost went all till a small mistake near the end

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by draegohn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:37 pm

yes, i noticed your ability on the racing map, doing better than me and freak in the beginning parts. pretty nice seeing as how this stuff takes better hand working than invasion :P

you totally are holding back skill in invasion, i know it! you are probably just so darn nice, you don't want to make me or others feel bad by keeping us from #1 ^,,^ aww, how sweet of you!!!

really, though, your skills are impressive as it is. if those hands were better, i think you'd be an equal to me, or perhaps, even more :}

KnaveSkye
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by KnaveSkye » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:54 pm

Ahh, few things I like better on this forum thana fresh Carball Topic....I will start with the obligatory link to my guide since some of the same concepts are covered with regards to wall climbing and perhaps hearing a different wording would be benificial
http://monstermadness.iforumer.com/view ... termadness
An Drae, I appreciate my name comming up when you mentioned Carball "Masters" Though its a bit of an exadgeration(wow, i think i butchered that word) I have beena carball supporter on the server for longer than some, and even gone so far as to put some practice in away from the server...I remember spending like 2 hours with sloppy_2nds on carball training stadium, Just starting from a certain location, boosting into the air, and usign the other 2 boosts to land as close to dead center on the feild as possible....little aspects come together well when things get tight =) If you would like, id be glad to try and teach you what little i know of scooping the ball.....since i learned it openspace, ThePit, and Spaced 3 are all fun maps. I stiil hate that beach map :drool: In my opinion Funhouse 2 is definately the hardest of the Test maps, but only because of the triple boost portion on course 2. It makes the triple boost on racing 2 look like a joke. But overall racing 2 has the best mix of challenges.....Racing 1 Really is only a challenge to see if i can finish it before the timer runs out. Ohh, and please...no more Knavey....pronounce it sounds just like navy....and that i can live without :wave:
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

"When all else fails, use fire"

crayola
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by crayola » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:28 pm

thx LOL naw any skills or edge or w/e you call it i ever had are gone due to numerous of things i cant even keep count LOL and i really do suck LOL, im sure you can beat anyone when you put your mind into it also due to your sheer skill/knowledge/strategic planning/strategies and more and the very technical of things lol jk :) really you have all the skills that it takes to be no.1 and CB(cad) also and among others that spend some time also with great teamwork which is no.1 but i gotta owe everything to joey hes the one that push me in the first place since it was his idea how this game was meant to be played and also amount genius lol put into this server drives me also among other things and personaly i love this server and all it stands for, and for the many reasons why he created it (ask paint on that) i would donate money just to play here.
Last edited by crayola on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZombieSlayer
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ZombieSlayer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:39 am

LoL I am far from being great at carball. I need to get back to playing it once in awhile to get my mojo back. Goto a carball server when they're people on and you'll see how sucky I am :rock:
If you lost your cd and have the old drive and have not reinstalled UT2004 or reformatted the drive, you can find your old cd key in the registry here ...

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technologies\Installed Apps\UT2004

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by draegohn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:43 am

hehe, all right, knave, i will not call address you with the extra eee sound at the end because of the reference to your current ongoings that must be wearing on you :}

no need to worry about me stealing the thunder of you or general's carball stuff, i simply made the process of wall stuff a little bit more outlined since it a process. i mainly wrote that up because of the extreme frustration i heard earlier just to have reiterated again. so many angry words during the race <,,<

i would enjoy learning how to scoop the ball, since i am seeing it done now fairly often and man is it apowerful tool when applied correctly :o sensei, i shall heard your words with humility and give it a go! ^..^

now, i do have idea for the next carbal strategy stuff involving defensive tips since i spend half my play time trying to keep the ball going in our goal and mention some some ball handling tricks i see working at times the other cb post doesn't cover,. what i think might be worth your time in explaining to others and myself are how to use pocket rockets and goo and the shield thing the best to manipulate the ball. so many times i have dropped goo on or near the ball and it goes in totally the unexpected direction. and i see how others can guide pocket rocked to hit the ground near it and move it, and again, sometimes it seems to go in the wrong direction from that splash effect with alt fire pcoketrocket guiding.

also, for the ball going the wrong way, sometimes the game seems to cheat so so bad. one can speed boost a ball towards someone, and at such high speed, it is like they have super glue on their bumper and just calmly take it away somehow >,,< as well as seeing at times the ball being collided from both sides, and for a split second you see it head in the air in one direction, then the next miillisecond it is actually going the other way! it sometimes seems the game's ball physics are so wrong at times :P

as for the master comment, it is just a friendly term since i recall the times of your playing and doing these wild things now and then o,,o

may the remaining days of your tour of duty be well. see you around :}

crayola
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by crayola » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:39 pm

edited prev post

General-Chainz
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by General-Chainz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:05 pm

lol woo hoo rank wit Knave in CB (for now). I play CB because I enjoy it not to win not to make the INV players mad and definatley not cause sumone says "VOTE CB!! NO VOTE INV !! NO VOTE ..." lol

Honestly I am good at CB...... until the car comes off the ground.

maps wit goals in the air are still difficult (but i been practicing...empty servers lol ) and alot of the kick ass air stuff I really cant do no matter how hard I try
Wall climbing I can do to a extent but prolly no where near as good as as anyone else. Racing I can get past the first wall and im done lol .

But anything to do on the ground I got covered (the easy part lol)
I definatly enjoy a good CB match cause the people that actually play through even if CB isnt your thing thats how you know who the real players are . At least how I look at it. I know Diablo does not like cb at all (and thas his choice) but he will play sum maps and those maps he does a good job when he asserts himself lol. The same goes for a few others . But then alot leave win CB wins. I t seems a lil selfish in a way . theres many INV maps alot of players dont wanna play but we stick it out sumtimes lol. My point is what if everyone left you when the map you vote for wins. HMMM 2-4 out of 16 players left i wonder how long that would last lol .
Fool I'm a Vet You can bet That
I can Dance Underwater
And Not Get Wet ......Ice Cube

the velocity of my creativity is a reality in the proximity of the
vicinity relatively
to the Stability from the tranquility it all comes naturally F*** doin
it properly .....General-Chainz

And the Generals gave thanks...to the other Ranks....as they held back the enemy Tanks....for awhile ....Roger Waters

KnaveSkye
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by KnaveSkye » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:30 pm

As much as i loathe to admit it...im still learning when it comes to pocket rockets. I can get the ball off the ground...but I send it flying to the sides about as often as i get a straight forward lift(assumng straight forward was what i was aiming for). I have NEVER had luck with goo....other than as a trap for players(or the lucky lob right on top of a player). My favorite Pickups are the boost (its jsut soo useful) and the shield. Boost is essential for doing a good boost scoop, for that last second save if you aer defending....or just that quick push into the enemies goal. The shield is definately situational, but it can quickly get the ball going in the other direction if you can get in front of the ball....it applies a good amount of force on the ball if you are already puching it in the direction you want it to go and activate it, you can nudge the ball while driving along side it to do a surprise shot into a goal.......or if you are the type you can run into other players and send them sliding a good ways with it...all a matter of how you play. Another point i cant stress enough is not being a glory hound...even if you are the better player, dont try and take the ball from your teammate, dont boost just to steal a boost from a teammate, dont run into a teammate to grab a powerup(this was always a pet peev of mine in zig or zig zag, the round starts and im trying to be first to the bal and i get side rammed from a teammate who wants a flip mine) Most importantly, HAVE FUN....this game is what you make of it, its gets better with experience and everyone has a better time when its a challenging game back and forth (so dont stack the teams either :rock: ) Cant wait to play with you all again :wave:
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

"When all else fails, use fire"

Return to “Monster Madness Strategy Guide”