The Server Is Dead (But there is good news)

Check here for server status and maintenance.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Re: The Server Is Dead (But there is good news)

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you for your generosity everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

EL!M!N@TOR

Post by EL!M!N@TOR » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:33 am

Just an idea, how about us loooong time users create a monster madness club where we make a regular direct debit to fund the server, you can count me in.
Just sent my first but not last donation. :rockon:

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:17 pm

EL!M!N@TOR wrote:Just an idea, how about us loooong time users create a monster madness club where we make a regular direct debit to fund the server, you can count me in.
Just sent my first but not last donation. :rockon:
First of all thank you for your generous donation. We greatly appreciate all of the help we can get. This has always been an "option" for us, but we've shied away from asking our members to participate in such a thing. We always appreciate donations but have historically not asked for them. We certainly do not want to make donating mandatory because that would alienate a lot of people. As far as a voluntary subscription goes, we could do that but I would want to give these people some kind of perk in return. But those who can't afford to donate every month would be alienated from those perks and that wouldn't be fair. Donations are helpful and important, but we don't want to alienate anybody. The only reason we are asking for donations now is because we are only in a tough spot right now because of problems with joeyz work and with the server finally dying. Once the new server is purchased and joeyz job is back to normal we will end the active call for donations. Though, as always we continue to appreciate the generosity of those of you who wish to help absorb some of the monthly cost of having the server hosted. In the next couple of days I will post some news about the status of the server. As I said in my first post if all goes well the plan is still to have the servers back up by mid-December. Stay tuned for more information.
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

ZombieSlayer
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ZombieSlayer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:41 am

Just waiting to hear back from my friend. Hopefully Mon or Tues, if not I'll let you know so you can pursue other servers.
If you lost your cd and have the old drive and have not reinstalled UT2004 or reformatted the drive, you can find your old cd key in the registry here ...

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technologies\Installed Apps\UT2004

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:47 am

Alright thanks Mike

gopostal

Post by gopostal » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 am

Bear in mind my screen says this
Last visit was: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:58 pm

It is currently Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 am
so it's not like my opinion carries any weight at all. In fact I can't remember ever registering or visiting before lol. I just happened to get the forum donation spam letter.

However, I've been a member of the U-Community since the start. In fact I learned to code on my RPG Inv server (thanks in no small part to Iniquitous). Remember 'The Invasion Vault'? That was me. Anyway I pulled a lateral some years back to work on UT monsterhunt and just never came back. In fact I still run several servers dedicated to monster hunting (even an Unreal coop one) and we are actively developing a complete overhaul of the MH base code at my forum on UnrealTournament.info.

I say that not to self-pimp but more so that you know that I'm not some net 'tard with a dissenting view. I happen to have a profound love for the game (in all it's iterations) with a special spot for the mods geared towards monsters. It pains me whenever a group starts to die and I hope I can help with the discussion here.

In short I think you are missing out on a good opportunity by using hosted service. I understand wanting to have your own physical box but in this day there's just no need. Hosted service is FAR cheaper, even in the long run. There is no need even to get a dedicated server from GS either, just use the slotted servers. Standard cost is 99 cents per player month. I know the figure of $1500 was floated as the cost of the old server but that's not nearly an entire cost by a long shot. There's the (potential) cost of a license for Windows Server, physical upkeep of the box itself, electricity for it's always-on state, internet connection to keep it live, etc.

I have this argument a couple of times a year with people and once you spreadsheet out the costs the savings of your 'own' server are negligible. I can run a GS server with 20 player months for a cost of $19.80 with no other costs or time obligations. Just as a raw breakdown that gives me almost 76 months (over 6 years) of paid-for play for that same $1500. Yes, at the end I don't own a server but would you want a server that's been hard played for 6+ years? :rofl2:

Sorry for the walltext. I just hoped I might spur the discussion into areas you don't seem to want to go. You've obviously gotten some donations and there's nothing stopping you from renting a server and being back up tomorrow, playing. It may not be your ideal but some concessions given would put players on-server and fun back in. In this day it takes very little downtime for your entire player base to just move on to another game, let alone another server. I'd not dally around too long hat-in-hand, the window to recover from it closes quickly.

Thanks for letting me post. <poof!>
Site admin of
http://www.forum.unrealtournament.info/index.php
UT coding discussions, mod help, MonsterHunt developement

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:34 am

gopostal wrote:Bear in mind my screen says this

It is currently Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 am
so it's not like my opinion carries any weight at all. In fact I can't remember ever registering or visiting before lol. I just happened to get the forum donation spam letter.

However, I've been a member of the U-Community since the start. In fact I learned to code on my RPG Inv server (thanks in no small part to Iniquitous). Remember 'The Invasion Vault'? That was me. Anyway I pulled a lateral some years back to work on UT monsterhunt and just never came back. In fact I still run several servers dedicated to monster hunting (even an Unreal coop one) and we are actively developing a complete overhaul of the MH base code at my forum on UnrealTournament.info.

I say that not to self-pimp but more so that you know that I'm not some net 'tard with a dissenting view. I happen to have a profound love for the game (in all it's iterations) with a special spot for the mods geared towards monsters. It pains me whenever a group starts to die and I hope I can help with the discussion here.

In short I think you are missing out on a good opportunity by using hosted service. I understand wanting to have your own physical box but in this day there's just no need. Hosted service is FAR cheaper, even in the long run. There is no need even to get a dedicated server from GS either, just use the slotted servers. Standard cost is 99 cents per player month. I know the figure of $1500 was floated as the cost of the old server but that's not nearly an entire cost by a long shot. There's the (potential) cost of a license for Windows Server, physical upkeep of the box itself, electricity for it's always-on state, internet connection to keep it live, etc.

I have this argument a couple of times a year with people and once you spreadsheet out the costs the savings of your 'own' server are negligible. I can run a GS server with 20 player months for a cost of $19.80 with no other costs or time obligations. Just as a raw breakdown that gives me almost 76 months (over 6 years) of paid-for play for that same $1500. Yes, at the end I don't own a server but would you want a server that's been hard played for 6+ years? :rofl2:

Sorry for the walltext. I just hoped I might spur the discussion into areas you don't seem to want to go. You've obviously gotten some donations and there's nothing stopping you from renting a server and being back up tomorrow, playing. It may not be your ideal but some concessions given would put players on-server and fun back in. In this day it takes very little downtime for your entire player base to just move on to another game, let alone another server. I'd not dally around too long hat-in-hand, the window to recover from it closes quickly.

Thanks for letting me post. <poof!>
You bring up some excellent points, I'll call the server owner today and relay them to him. I agree with you that it would be great to get back up and running in a few hours and not have to worry about buying a new server...etc. My only concern is making sure performance doesn't degrade and making sure the server performs as good if not better than what we are used to. Thank you very much for the suggestion and for sharing your wisdom and experience with us.

Amy Infless
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Amy Infless » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:40 am

dunno about actual prices, contract terms, bandwidth etc. cant tell if you can keep the IP too.
could be renting a "new" server for that old ut2k4 might be cheaper than for ut4, maybe its the same price.
anyways, so or so, if thats really an option and you want to switch to ut4 as fast as possible, dont make 2-years-contracts...

ats
Do not try kill THIS bug !!! ->Image Your monitor may not like it...

Those who correct my English will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

Rumple
Private
Private

Post by Rumple » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:54 am

BaronVonRotterdam wrote:
gopostal wrote:Bear in mind my screen says this

edited <poof!>
You bring up some excellent points, I'll call the server owner today and relay them to him. I agree with you that it would be great to get back up and running in a few hours and not have to worry about buying a new server...etc. My only concern is making sure performance doesn't degrade and making sure the server performs as good if not better than what we are used to. Thank you very much for the suggestion and for sharing your wisdom and experience with us.
This was my original thought exactly. Just rent one. And I was blown-away to find that it could be as little as $20 per month for a 20-slot deal...hell, even if it's $40 a month...guess what, I would GLADLY pay $2.00 a month to play a game once, maybe twice a day.

I cannot believe that there is any thought that we need to make sure that the new (rented) server plays as well or is as dependable as the old server. If the old server had 8,000 hours on it and was 10 years old...in my mind it's like driving a broke-down, rusty 2004 Dodge running on 7/8 cylinders, and trading-up to a leased 2014 Corvette with free maintenance for the duration of the lease.

Maybe just structure it so there might be a little $$ left over at the end of a couple years to buy a Lamborghini server?

Again, car guy. Not computer guy. :pbjtime:

Rumple
Private
Private

Post by Rumple » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:57 am

Oh, one more word on keeping the old IP... If it shows-up on the "browse servers", I think that's all you need...I can guarantee you that the veterans WILL find it there, and then people from other servers will see a busy, 20-slot server, and come play....maybe even at a MUCH higher rate than before if the map downloads are faster.

Return to “Server News”