Basics

Talk about some good SSD's to use for a custom build.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

NumbWarri0r
BF3 Server Admin
BF3 Server Admin

Basics

Post by NumbWarri0r » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:23 pm

**OK, I can not stress enough how much I'd love to have a SSD right now, but they are extremely expensive compared to their plattered counterparts. Though when the scales of economy get into effect their cost will go down. Now you might not be to familiar with SSD, but there are no moving parts in a SSD (making it less likely to crash). They are wicked fast. This is because they use non-volatile flash memory, rather than magnetizing ferromagnetic material directionally, to represent either a 0 or a 1 binary digit. SSD do not cause fragmentation, which is a real pain with HDD.
**Now there are two different architecture types with SSD, one is SLC (single level cell) and MLC (multi level cell). An slc SSD is simply built where 1 bit rests within 1 cell of the SSD. Conversely, a mlc SSD means there are two bits within 1 cell of the SSD. The best way of understanding this is to compare a cell with a single bit to a single home whereas a cell with two bits would be a duplex. For those capable of using the slc SSD to its full potential, it is easily understood that they have much more control over the total SSD as each bit is within it’s own cell. Its much the same as trying to make alterations on your single family home, vice a duplex.
**SSD drives also can outlive any HDD on the market today. SSD manufacturers employ different ways to increase the longevity of the drives. In some cases, they use a "balancing" algorithm to monitor the number of times each disk block has been written, which greatly extends the operational lifespan of the drive. Furthermore, these manufacturers also designed special "wear-leveling" algorithms where once a certain percentage threshold for a given block is reached, the SSD controller will swap the data in that block with the data in another block that has exhibited a "read-only-like" characteristic in the background. This reduces performance lag and avoids further wearing off of the blocks and thrashing of the disk. Even with usage patterns of writing/reading gigabytes per day, a Flash-based SSD should last several years, depending on its capacity.
**In addition to speed, reliability and mortality rate being positively affected by the SSD's non-volatility, they also consume much less power than traditional HDDs. No additional power is required to activate the platters or the mechanical arms present in most HDDs. Its power consumption is practically only a fraction of a(n) HDD.
**Along with the lower power consumption, there is also much lesser heat dissipation for systems using Flash-based SSDs as their data storage solution. This is due to the absence of heat generated from the rotating/movable media.
Basically SSD are faster, more reliable, use less power and generate less heat than a HDD. Thanks for reading guys hope it helps.

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Re: Basics

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Great post! I would mention some pricing though. Like right now it costs about $200 to get a good SATA II 120GB SSD. Comparatively a 1TB 7200RPM HD costs $90. While you get far less space for the money you really gain the difference in performance. I however need atleast a 200-400GB SSD for about $200 before I adopt SSD tech.
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

Return to “Solid State Disk”