Can't get the hang of it, what am I doing wrong?

This is the place to go if you have questions about the server/forum rules or how to play effectively on the server.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HartfordMan

Can't get the hang of it, what am I doing wrong?

Post by HartfordMan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Ok so I have heard from a few fellow invasion players that "Monster Madness" is one of the best and most unique rpg servers around. What I don't get is the more complicated weapon of power stuff. What powerups am i supposed to use? I just started two weeks ago. I have been playing a little but haven't been able to level much :(. It seems like I am shooting stuff but I hardly get any exp points.

I know that infinity powerups are the best and you can use two of them, but what other ones do you guys suggest I use to kill stuff? Someone told me rage is good but it always kills me. Oh, and one other thing, I have seen powerups like "Turbo Laser" and "Razor Cannon" but I can't get them to work. I figured out that they can only be used on one gun, but when I put razor cannon on the flak it just shoots regular :(. Is there a custom bind I need to make? I have been reading and figured out the binds for the weapon unload and other stuff so this forum has been helpful so far!

Archangel
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Archangel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Right here.......You can also toggle on/off by hitting your fire button and alt-fire button at the same time.

http://monstermadness.iforumer.com/view ... termadness

Scion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Scion » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:15 pm

You're right hart in that the razor bomb works for the flak and other pus (powerup, almost always call pus) are used for certain weapons. The reason why your flak kept shooting regular shots is that you didn't change your firing mode, which is a unique system that the server has, to switch weapon firing mode, you have to hold down one of the firing buttons and hit the other firing button. If you look at the top left side of your screen, you will see 2 red circles. These are shaded out when no alt fire pus are in the weapon, but when there is one present you may notice that the red is not shaded out and when you switch firing modes, a picture will appear there. As for the rage pu, the reason why you are probably dying is that the rage pu deals 10% more damage (I think) but then deals 10% of that damage back to you. Now there is something to do that helps to negate that and its called vamperism (vamp for short) its an ability that you have to buy which will deal 5% per lvl of the damage back to you as health, however you need to have the requirement of 50 damage bonus (DB). There is also another problem though with rage, you can't use it on super shock rifles (SSR) because its instagib, it won't flat out kill you, but it will knock you down to 70 health since rage pus can't knock you below that amount (thats what it said in item description when I use the command in game or something like that). It is nice though that you learned the keybinds. It will be hard though for you to lvl up at first but thats because the monsters are really really tough and not so friendly, but once you get a few lvls, you'll start to survive the first few waves, and once you reach 100, you got enough points to actually do something. Remember to buy vamp and denial lvl 2 (because you don't want to have to keep getting a new gun especially when you had a nice one and lvl 1 of denial is just useless to you).

Now real quick, I will tell you what pus go to certain guns.

mp5- Proxy mines and Laser mines.

shieldgun- shock cannon.

bio rifle- piercirator (I suggest that you don't use this pu), web fire, and weapon spread.

shock rifle- turbo laser, inferno laser, and shock spread.

link gun-darmar, plasma ball (it says its for the rocket launcer, but its not, and also when you use this firing mode, it hurts you even with healing pu), and weapon spread.

flak cannon- blast cannon and razor bomb

rocket launcher- rocket seeker, fireball, fire rockets, rocket spread, rocket cluster, and flare.

minigun- SSR (beware though, this pu changes the gun into an entirely different weapon with same slots as the mini it was made from, but the mini is lost and when you go to a mini pickup, you will pick up another minigun even though you this ssr minigun. The SSR minigun shoots blue beams of light).

Lightning gun- Disruptor (it doesn't work, and if you luck out on summoning a lightning gun and picking up this pu, I feel sorry for you)

Also, know that certain pus won't interact with each other. These are- freeze, stone, null entropy, super force (SF), propulsion, and pullforward. There is also a limit on how many of the same pu will go into a gun so there is that too.
Sometimes a crazy move is the best move.

ZombieSlayer
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ZombieSlayer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:37 am

Read these as well ...

Any questions, just ask :) Asking in game however can be less than helpful, especially if it's during the later waves of the map as people are more focused on killing and staying alive than answering questions.
If you lost your cd and have the old drive and have not reinstalled UT2004 or reformatted the drive, you can find your old cd key in the registry here ...

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technologies\Installed Apps\UT2004

Scion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Scion » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Some of those guides though really need an update.
Sometimes a crazy move is the best move.

[WOH]Hobbie
Private
Private

Post by [WOH]Hobbie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:32 am

I also want to add when you get the chance try to buy the gold wrench kit if you can. I we open a weapon create or spell out WAND you can make the gun into a wop.

Ragnarok
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ragnarok » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:27 pm

yea, needs to be updated.. ::cough kyle:: lol

Return to “Monster Madness Player Guide”