Speeding up load times

This is the place to go if you have questions about the server/forum rules or how to play effectively on the server.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FragFodder
BANNED
BANNED

Speeding up load times

Post by FragFodder » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:44 pm

Just curious what UT2K4 settings will reduce map load times.

I generally have had horribly long load times, sometimes not even being able to start moving around on a new map until the 2nd or even 3rd wave.

Yesterday I was fiddling around with some of the default settings and changed a couple of things (though for the life of me I couldn't remember what I did to save my life). Anyhoo I must've changed something right because now I load up relatively quickly, even being able to get in towards the beginning of the 1st wave.

What are some of the factors that you all have found that affect game load time for the better or worse...?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Frag

AngelDust
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AngelDust » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:50 pm

try putting everything on normal and turn off trillinear (causes a lot of lag if dont have very fast comp)in settings and take off fog weather in settings too.

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Fodder you have to take alot into concideration when you talk about load times. The time you load in has to do with

1.) Your PC's Speed

2.) The server your connecting to's ping (unbelievably fast here on joeys)

3.) Your interenet connection

and thats only 3, fodder there is so much to take into concideration when loading.... If joeys server downloaded files in 1 second, then you would only download the files at the max of your connection not the connection that joeys server is pushing the files to. Joey has a duel OC3 connection... I'm thinking about 10+ times faster than a cable connection (at the minumum 10+ faster).

I hope I have answered your question fodder.
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

FragFodder
BANNED
BANNED

Post by FragFodder » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:05 am

Thanks to you both for the helpful info and advice. My comps not the fastest kid on the block so I have dropped almost all of the settings to the bare minimals and that seems to help.

As I said, I must have changed some setting that helped to speed things up a bit since my load times are a bit faster now.

I guess having a triple digit ping when I'm connecting doesn't really help...maybe Joey could move a little closer to Hawaii. :D

House_Arrest

Post by House_Arrest » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:27 am

I do realize that this is a dead post, and being an old forum mod myself this is tearing at mea s I write it, but.....

[quote="Paintball"]Joey has a duel OC3 connection... I'm thinking about 10+ times faster than a cable connection (at the minumum 10+ faster).
quote]

reg old connection thru ethernet 100mb/s
OC3 connection 155 mb/s

Now I've never worked with an OC-3 connection as I've never had a reason, nor the money, to go and buy a port that can handle 155 mb/s. So I'm not to keen on its specs, but if this 155 mb/s is the speed that a dual would use as well (logic dictates here)....then by math, the most you could go with that OC-3 conn would be 3.1 times faster. But maybe my math is off.

Note- this is just fyi though, nothing to important. ATM's use the same connection.

FragFodder
BANNED
BANNED

Post by FragFodder » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:06 pm

House_Arrest wrote:Note- this is just fyi though, nothing to important. ATM's use the same connection.
So...are you saying that we can withdraw money while we are playing on Joey's server...? WooHoo...! :wink: :lol:

Return to “Monster Madness Player Guide”