Discussion - Super Speeds

General discussion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

To Keep Or Not To Keep Thy Super Speed Power Up?

Yes - Remove it!
33%
No - Keep it!
67%

Total votes: 12

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Discussion - Super Speeds

Post by Mobster » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:02 am

Baron and I would like to know why after nearly a decade of Super Speeds being in game, that now there are some that want to see them removed from the server. We'd like to see some constructive thoughts and points on why you may or may not want this power up removed before taking any actions with it.

I included a poll that is by NO means an "official vote" or anything like that. Please don't just vote and then not leave any posts on your position with this either. I also have allowed the option to recast a vote if people are swayed the other way.

___

I am leaning towards the "No - Keep it!" side. It's been in this long, and is apart of the strategies of quite a number of players in the server. And thus far the reasons we've seen are not good enough to justify removing it. So that is why we are going to formally collect the points of each side and discuss it here. I feel like Joey would say no and he wouldn't want to remove that functionality to the game.
Mob
Monster Madness RPG WoP Invasion Server Administrator - UT 2004
Map Editor - UT 2004

Rumple
Private
Private

Re: Discussion - Super Speeds

Post by Rumple » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:10 am

Super Speed yes.

Faster speeds via stacking of S5 or SS, whether by virtue of having one on each WOP, or intentionally or unintentionally throwing and picking up a weapon...no.

Speed combo should not be available if you have an S5 or SS on any weapon.

I wasn't here. I didn't say anything. :scared:

Gothicize
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gothicize » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 am

The only time I ever use a SS is if its a very big map and only a couple of people playing. Otherwise I have no need to run and grab every power up from someone else.

Cadmium
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Cadmium » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:08 am

I think the speed's are fine, it sucks when they glitch though and stack. But they solve more problems than they create imo. Anyway this post is also to say I'm still alive and will be back sometime soonish. : P Although I think I forgot my admin pass etc :/

akumatatata
Private
Private

Post by akumatatata » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 pm

I would say remove cause you can just add speed to every wop you have to run fast, if someone gets your weapon summon etc what can you do about it, they grabbed it first

Archangel
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Archangel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:02 pm

akumatatata wrote:I would say remove cause you can just add speed to every wop you have to run fast, if someone gets your weapon summon etc what can you do about it, they grabbed it first

keep the super speeds.

Amy Infless
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Amy Infless » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:19 am

you only talk about removing the superspeed POWERUP, do you?
turning into "superspeed" by using adrenspeed-combo to outrun other players or
(ab-)using(?) speed5-pu´s in multiple weps or by trying to stack its effect by
tossing and repicking these s5 loaded wops several times will still exist?
i guess then it makes no sense to remove it.

if "superspeed-effekt" in general is a problem, then there should be all options
removed that can any single player make run faster.

running fast has its fascination, beeing on "slowfoot" not really. playing at
100% "gamespeed" is like playing regular unreal tournament. anyways i would like
to tend to say remove it, the question is, what maps do we have in the future?
only training day like maps where superspeed really isnt necessary?
if maps like paintballs bunker or complex stay, where monsters "hide" in the farest
away corners of the map, it would really be a pain ending these maps in 2 instead of 1 hour playtime.
even stranded, trackmeat, meatfactory or mobsters elixirXIV-azuritemine would need much more time.

so thinking about that and i dont want it to be removed. i talked about "gamespeed",
what about increasing it from 100% to 135% ? but i guess it effects monsters as well.
what about the buyable quickfoot-option? it costs a lot and is maxed in my opinion only
like a "speed3-4" or something like that. can this be increased? (means removing of all speed pu´s)
level1 = 1 x speed5 = 10 points
level2 = 2 x speed5 = 15 points
level3 = 3 x speed5 = 20 points
level4 = superspeed = 25 points to spent on

this way everyone could decide for themselve, and if someone is crying about "he is to fast"
everyone else could say "then just buy it".

well, back to topic, its a draw for me, in that case i really cant decide what to vote for.

ats
Do not try kill THIS bug !!! ->Image Your monitor may not like it...

Those who correct my English will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

Gothicize
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Gothicize » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:59 am

I like what Amy said about making it a skill. That might prove to be a better option then having the speed5 and superspeed power ups.

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:19 am

I too like the idea of a skill as well. (y)
Mob
Monster Madness RPG WoP Invasion Server Administrator - UT 2004
Map Editor - UT 2004

AnnieGamer
Private
Private

Post by AnnieGamer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:56 pm

I think that superspeed is too much. A lot of people have argued this over the years, relating to using the speed combo and superspeed to go extremely fast. Obviously if you die with it on you lose your weapons, but if you have ghost or res, which all players do eventually, you can use it still until you ghost and then if you do, don't reapply it until the next wave so there is no risk of losing weapons. This makes it too easy to be extremely fast. Usually when I play, just about everyone is extremely fast eventually. The speed 5's, just like the shield regen's, are better because they give players who get more than one power weapon more speed. So if you have a unlucky game and get only 2-3 power guns with a speed 5 on each, you will be a little faster but if you get 5-6 you can get about as fast as a superspeed. So based on that, I think that if super speed was eliminated but the single and 5 speeds were left the way they are, then it would reward players later in the game who get speed 5's throughout a game. The way it is now, the first person to get a SS on a map will have a huge advantage on picking up powerups over everyone else. They aren't very common so usually in the first few waves, the collecting part of the game, maybe 1 to 3 people at the most get one. The idea of an ability other than quickfoot for more speed would be bad because it would make it even harder for low level players to grab powerups. The people with max quickfoot already have a small advantage. Giving everyone even more speed from the start with an ability would put the lower level players at an even greater disadvantage. Single speeds and Speed 5's are the way to go!

Return to “UT2004 General Discussion”