Beginner's stats and such

Do you know some good strategies to help your fellow team mates do better in game? Help us out. Post some in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Beginner's stats and such

Post by draegohn » Sun May 20, 2007 3:04 pm

ooh, a forum section thats meant for me to ramble! kidding X}

anyways, many on the server ask what they should do when starting out, so i will put in some pointers for such persons. i forget how many stat points are given when starting, so i will be a little more general than exact with how many points to put where at each level :P to open the stats window, press the L key.

1: you get experience on these rpg invasion servers by the DAMAGE YOU INFLICT! not the kills you cause, though the two are related! for this reason, one really should give more points to damage bonus over time than damage reduction. really, one would think staying alive is primary, but it doesn't matter when you are below level 100, you will die easily regardless.

2: to help stay alive with less dr and overall survival, one really needs to have vampirism level 3 at least, so vie for this level of skill when you can. vampirism's strength comes from your damage you do on enemies, so this is coupled with damage bonus stats. be aware there are enemy types from which you can't vamp off hp.

3: once you become level 25, buy denial level 2!!! the weapon you die with in hand will return when you respawn. very freakin necessary. 'nuff said -o-

4: if you are not level 25, and happen to get a weapon of power, and you find a retention pu..put that on right away! you apply pus to weapons of power (these have black slots over the gun) by pressing the use key, which is U by default. you scroll through your inventory of powerups and artifacts with [ and ] keys as default. artifacts are activated with the use key.

5: you really need to get resupply level 1 when starting out, you need ammo bonus of 50 for the skill to be made available to you. with inf ammo pus, getting more than damage bonus 50 is not necessary, but when starting out a map with mp5, resupply skill can be your very good friend!

6: around level 75, you should have basic skills and stats distributed...BUT..make sure you purchase the gold wrench skill by this level, seriously. to get gold wrench, you need 150 weapons speed, 150 damage bonus, and 150 damage reduction for the skill to be made available. having the gold wrench makes any nonnegative or noncursed weapon a weapon of power. the only exceptions are redeemer, nuke bomb, and normal super shock rifle; these superweapons cannot be made a weapon of power by the gold wrench. weapons of power are the basis to this server!

7: you do not need to take weapon speed over 150 for a long time. i have found when starting a second character, that putting 2 inf pus on a weapon of power is essentially super weapon speed. work on maxing damage bonus and damage reduction before maxing weapon speed. experience gains are better the faster you can get shots out; the more you can hit and inflict damage, the more you gain experience.

8: do not discount working up adrenaline. at adrenaline stat of 150, you can buy adrenal surge levels 1 and 2. this skill gives 50% more adrenaline from monsters kills at each level. when i was low level, i initiated speed booster every chance i could, and adding shields with booster is very helpful at times. the more adrenaline you have and can acquire, the more you can keep regenerating health and shields. it is highly useful as well in artifact useage. regeneration booster combo is iniated by hitting the backwards movement key 4 times fast.

9: there are classes here, but unlike other invasion servers, you aren't restricted to one. simply put, being a weapons master lets you purachse adavanced damage bonus, and medic class will grant you the ability to medi a weapon so it has infinite ammo and apply a strong healing ability. medic class has a prerequisite stat allotment, which i forget.

10: understand, as low level players, high level players will only do so much to help out those just starting. many feel it is a waste of time to take effort to help one who will not be able to last long in game. for this reason, do not beg for stuff over and over, thinking noone is "hearing" you. it can actually be worse for you, since it can make some think negatively of you, and distracting those trying to win the map is not a good thing. you want your higher level players to win a map so you as a low level player can get the 1000 bonus experience points! many of us toss pus to people without a word, like myself who will often unload a bunch to one person i know isn't getting a lot. i normally share pus and guns randomly than asking if someone needs something.

11: unless you really feel the need to start over from the first level, do not ever hit the "reset" button on the stats window. only give heed to the "refund" button, which will refund all your stat points so you can redistribute them in other ways. if you are curious what prerequisites to some skills are, highlight the skill and click the INFO button for a description.

12: getting all quickfoot levels is good, for the addition speed stacks on speed pus and speed booster adrenaline combo. getting the first level sometime early is suggested, for it does add a fair bit more speed than the default, regular speed. speed booster adrenaline combo is initiated by hitting the forwards movement key 4 times fast.

{edited to add}
13. i can't believe i forgot this. new, low levels should also try to get TEAM VAMPIRISM level 1 at least. for the new players who like to spam stuff, and high levels alike, this can be of help! it was really great help to me as well when i needed to hide somewhere with others when so vulnerable. minigun, flak, razor primary fire will vamp nicely off teammates. i still make use of it to this day sometimes when things get hectic, or hurt badly after a wave and needed some hp fast.

this is all i have to share for those starting out on this server, or essentially, any other invasion server with some of these basics. i hope this may help!
Last edited by draegohn on Sun May 27, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

|bah|Ariel
Private
Private

Post by |bah|Ariel » Mon May 21, 2007 6:40 am

I have some questions.

On 1 you say that exp is gained by damage ..

1: Do you get more experience by shooting long times with a mp5 instead of killing quick with .... whatever superweapon you get your hands on ?

2. Is denial something you really can trust ?. The last 2 weeks my denial did not work , so i always use retention pu.

3. Which is the better thing propulsion , knockback or freeze pu ?
As for myself i always use freeze cos if i kill a monster i dont want it to fly away if it drops a good pu.

BTW: the tip you told on shooting at soldiers feet and cause splash damage was really usefull. =D>

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by draegohn » Mon May 21, 2007 10:56 am

hi! i will answer your questions as i know from my experience here. i am not a ut2004 game/serve coding genius, so all i offer is what i notice while gaming. some of the coders of the server coud give much more detailed info on some aspects, like the first answer

1) damage and experience

it appears that reducing the HP of a monster with your gun is what gives you the experience through damage. so as an example, say your gun inflicts 50 damage per shot (which includes your damage bonus), the enemy has 10 damage reduction, and 120 hp. each shot you get on it will rip away 40 hp, so it will take 3 hits to kill. you get 40 experience points for each shot that hits! keep in mind that this is just an example through numbers. i remember being low level and using super shock rifles on maps. titans took many shots to kill, while now at my level with max db, they take one on lower waves. as i would shoot titans as a low level, my level increased, even before making the kill. so the answer to the question you pose is that the experience is the same if you kill the monsters with a super weapon as with an mp5... if noone else is shooting at the same monsters. in game, many people are going after monsters you are aiiming for. this is what makes for the issue of "that is my pu, give back!" because you and another were shooting at that monster. i shoot at things from across the map and i know through sprees that were had lately the majority are my kills :P super weapons essentially kill the monsters faster and grant you all its hp-loss-related experience.

2) denial's trustability

i have had very few problems with losing guns when i die. but like with anyone, it has happened to me a fair share in the past. i haven't had a gun loss incident in 2 weeks, and those that did happen 2 weeks ago were both from instakill pits. i have been told by a couple admins that putting a retention pu on a gun you hold in hand can make for issues if you die with it, since its like processing two save requests that can make for funkiness. i use retention pu for two reasons: to save a wop gun i will probably use later if i don't summon something nicer and a better slotted wop i save pus on before i suicide with another gun in hand, usually one i just summoned that needs wopped when i have no gold wrench. i never use retention on the gun i am mainly using to fight with. if you lose your guns constantly, something really bad is happening on your end. which might mean a good, full ut2004 removal and reinstall is in order. know your username's spelling (all characters/spaces/capitlaization) and your password before doing that! i also know that some who attempt the speed hack and other gun hacks in game lose their stuff rather frequently. sometimes even unloading and reloading your gun loses its save value, as can be seen if you are tending to lose pu effects (heal, superforce, iron sturdy for example) you once had a moment ago before unloading/reloading. after every time i unload a wop and reload, i switch to another gun, fire a couple times, then switch right back..and all is good!

3)what is better--propulsion, knockback, freeze?

i was going to make a new post in this section later today about my experience and knowledge of the effect of other pus as i have seen them, but i will say what i think about these here for you.

freeze definitely is nice for keeping pus near after enemy death, as well as its effect of keeping the enemy from turning towards you as well as firing. nullentropy is similar this way too, though it seems enemies can still turn in that status. freeze lasts a bit longer, so it is better than null entropy in that way too. the reason freeze keeps their pus near is that it negates the "push" effect many weapons have, and pus when released are subject to physics, including the last push-hit that killed it. this is also why they get all funky in low gravity and water maps too. using knockback, pullforwards, and propulsion pus can send pus flying very far at times X}

propulsion i will use every time i can, so as long as i am not using superforce, which won't allow propulsion or other pus except knockback. but propulsion can enhance damage somehow, which noone knows exactly why. it is a pu that seems to be a hybrid of force and knockback, but when used on certain enemies, it seems to reduce their damage reduction a fair bit. using a beamy weapon like wand/laser rifle/essr/super shock rifle/mini ssr with propulsion and around +7 damage (and your own max db) will kill titans, queens, valgaries, and other enemies almost always with a single strike, while it takes 2-3 hits without propulsion. this probably will have changed since some of these enemies now have a +3 added reflection status on them, but i still say it will ream them good. somehow, pullforwards will have the very same effect as propulsion in making enemy killing on these types faster, but for some reason, pullforwards takes effect every few shots, unlike propulsion taking effect every shot.

knockback has a lighter version of weakening on those enemy types to strikes, but its significantly less. knockback also does not oppush an enemy every shot as well. i use knockback when i use superforce. knockback and propulsion also allow to push enemies so that you can claim the enemy more in your sights, for other players trying to shoot at it will suddenly see the monster pushed out of their aim, while it can stay primarily in your aim. yes, i am greedy with queens and such this way, and its the reason why one can gain more score and experience per map if they take out more of the higher hp/higher score enemies

i was going to post more strategies of mine here last night, but i figured i would let others have a chance. tonight i will probably repost my soldiers' strategies, add my useage of pus, and maybe how to use certain gun types properly. i hope this helps!

TurkeyFromHell
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by TurkeyFromHell » Mon May 21, 2007 3:27 pm

i think im gonna see if i can talk joey into sendin me the rpgrules code so i can say exactly how damage and xp is alotted.. but not now :P

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by draegohn » Mon May 21, 2007 7:59 pm

i would love to know the details on that too, turkeee! i await your findings ^,,^

TurkeyFromHell
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by TurkeyFromHell » Tue May 22, 2007 1:39 pm

if im able to :3... time is running out for my use of a decent computer -.- v.v T.T

border_2
BANNED
BANNED

Thats alot to type

Post by border_2 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:05 pm

OMG the post is longer than most peoples attention span but theres some good advice there drea so thx man.
Killing illegals one alien at a time!

SirBeast
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by SirBeast » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 pm

draegohn wrote: 3)what is better--propulsion, knockback, freeze?

i was going to make a new post in this section later today about my experience and knowledge of the effect of other pus as i have seen them, but i will say what i think about these here for you.

freeze definitely is nice for keeping pus near after enemy death, as well as its effect of keeping the enemy from turning towards you as well as firing. nullentropy is similar this way too, though it seems enemies can still turn in that status. freeze lasts a bit longer, so it is better than null entropy in that way too. the reason freeze keeps their pus near is that it negates the "push" effect many weapons have, and pus when released are subject to physics, including the last push-hit that killed it. this is also why they get all funky in low gravity and water maps too. using knockback, pullforwards, and propulsion pus can send pus flying very far at times X}

propulsion i will use every time i can, so as long as i am not using superforce, which won't allow propulsion or other pus except knockback. but propulsion can enhance damage somehow, which noone knows exactly why. it is a pu that seems to be a hybrid of force and knockback, but when used on certain enemies, it seems to reduce their damage reduction a fair bit. using a beamy weapon like wand/laser rifle/essr/super shock rifle/mini ssr with propulsion and around +7 damage (and your own max db) will kill titans, queens, valgaries, and other enemies almost always with a single strike, while it takes 2-3 hits without propulsion. this probably will have changed since some of these enemies now have a +3 added reflection status on them, but i still say it will ream them good. somehow, pullforwards will have the very same effect as propulsion in making enemy killing on these types faster, but for some reason, pullforwards takes effect every few shots, unlike propulsion taking effect every shot.

knockback has a lighter version of weakening on those enemy types to strikes, but its significantly less. knockback also does not oppush an enemy every shot as well. i use knockback when i use superforce. knockback and propulsion also allow to push enemies so that you can claim the enemy more in your sights, for other players trying to shoot at it will suddenly see the monster pushed out of their aim, while it can stay primarily in your aim. yes, i am greedy with queens and such this way, and its the reason why one can gain more score and experience per map if they take out more of the higher hp/higher score enemies
IMHO Null Entropy is the best of these for most weapons (save wand/SSR) because it not only damages the enemy, but also provided a percentage chance to cause them to go into "Null" state - particularly useful from dropping enemies out of the sky - essentially it freezes all movement - and since flying is considered movement, they drop like a rock! Nice for making them hold still and not shoot back while you continue to unload on them - ESPECIALLY handy against wands and those blasted mobs that regen their health when they go invisible, as this gives the chance of preventing them from doing just that!
I will consistently sacrifice political correctness for an attempt at humor. If ya can't deal, then ya need ta stop being ign'ant.

Sig by the awesome AnnaBeaver

Return to “Monster Madness Strategy Guide”