New map for you guys..

This is the place to post requests for new maps that you would like to play on the server.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pichu~
Private
Private

New map for you guys..

Post by pichu~ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:29 am

Hey,

I made a new map for you guys, it's smaller than the last map I made (DM-pichu~Stadium) but I figured you might want some variety. Could you please add this to the server's maplist? :D
Let me know what you think!

DL link:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6zb3jr

Screenshot:
http://imgur.com/Hr1LmL8
(in case the above picture doesn't load for whatever reason, the map is the Pacman maze.)

pichu~

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Re: New map for you guys..

Post by Mobster » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:30 pm

I was hoping to hear some pacman sounds when you pick up something. Not sure if you know how to implement sounds like that into maps, but I think it would make it more interesting overall.

If not let me know and I can just add the map as is.
Mob
Monster Madness RPG WoP Invasion Server Administrator - UT 2004
Map Editor - UT 2004

pichu~
Private
Private

Post by pichu~ » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:58 am

I'll look into obtaining the sound files for that, hopefully they're monochannel or that I can find out how to convert them... I'll try spice it up a bit too, make for a more authentic experience ;)

I'll post back soon and see what I can do, thanks for the feedback!

pichu~
Private
Private

Post by pichu~ » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:29 am

Here you go! Improved and much more in keep with the maps theme.. waka waka. Renamed to prevent mismatches.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/7t8gab

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Nice job! That's is basically what I had in mind. You took the extra step too add all the symbols too.

It is currently ***LIVE*** on the server.
Mob
Map Editor - UT 2004

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Okay they are playing it now but for some reason in online play it just shows health vials, and adrenaline pills. Not like the dots, and fruit I saw in instant action.
Mob
Map Editor - UT 2004

pichu~
Private
Private

Post by pichu~ » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:40 am

Hmm that is strange and.. disapointing. Are the pick-up sounds still the beeps or have they reverted back to the classic sound?

Not sure what to do about that, I suppose I could try and create custom assests in a seperate downloadable package but I run the same risk of the classic static meshes being displayed if the nature of the health vial pickup is intrinsically linked to its corresponding mesh, i.e. you can't have one without the other. It might be something to do with this line of code "#exec OBJ LOAD FILE=E_Pickups.usx", but I don't know how to rewrite that to display a sprite instead - and that may not even be the issue.

I could also create static meshes of the dots/fruit etc and see if that works on online play? I think this might be the most viable solution however I don't have a server so I can't test these sort of things. Let me know if you would like me to try to fix it and send you another version.

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:28 pm

If you'd like to put in the time to try to get it running properly, then go for it. :)
Perhaps opening another custom map with custom pickups to see how they've done it will help. Also if you have extra files with map's that should be fine.

My skills with Unreal Editor are limited. So there is not much help I can provide on this. I know intermediate functions, and how to get a map edited and optimized for Invasion that's about it.

I would also like to note that thus far the map has mixed reactions within our player base. Some like it, and some don't. I think it's an interesting map to have in the map cycle to play once in awhile.
Mob
Map Editor - UT 2004

pichu~
Private
Private

Post by pichu~ » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:03 am

Yeah the map was just a bit of fun as it didnt take long, so no worries if isn't a popular choice. Out of interest what kind of map are people after, so I can know for future maps?
I'm guessing the mixed reviews for this one were either it's too small or there are no places to hide.. but I dont want to make a map that is an easy victory.

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:42 pm

They like smaller - mid sized maps opposed to large maps. Some are saying your Stadium map is a bit big. Bigger hallways and rooms are a must in Invasion because of larger monsters like Titans.
I'm not sure if you have played much on the server but it is challenging. A place to build WoP's, and fight from is what will make a popular map around here. Those last few waves are not for the faint of heart. 8-)

It's tricky though cause like you said you don't want an easy win map at the same time.
Mob
Map Editor - UT 2004

Return to “Map Requests”